We’d be delighted to receive an application from you to join us in Sixth Form. Please print off and send in an application form once you’ve checked through the details below. Do also come along and meet us at our Sixth Form open evening, and take a look at our prospectus.
Since Churston is a selective grammar school, you’ll need to meet our entry requirements to join the Sixth Form. This means that you must:
- Have at least a Grade 5 in English and Maths.
- Four additional B grades
You’ll also need to meet the entry criteria for the individual subjects you want to study, which are listed on our subject pages.
Other points to note are:
- Two short course GCSEs will count as one of the 6 full course GCSEs, so long as they’re in different subjects.
- We may accept other qualifications in place of GCSEs – the Headteacher will decide whether they are equivalent.
- If you don’t have a Grade 5 in English Language you will need to demonstrate that your competency in the English language is sufficient to cope with the A-level subjects you want to study, by holding a suitable equivalent qualification.
- In Year 12 you must study four A level subjects unless otherwise agreed.
Our admissions policy explains other basic criteria for joining, and for progressing from Year 12 to Year 13, along with an explanation of how we decide what to do if subjects are oversubscribed.
You could be eligible for the Learner Support Bursary Fund depending on your personal circumstances, so do check the criteria if you think this might be relevant to you.
If you’re applying to join us from outside Churston Grammar you need to send us a completed application form by 6 February. We can accept applications after this date, but it may be harder to timetable your first choice of subjects.
It’s essential that you confirm on GCSE results day, or the following day, that you intend to take up your place in the Sixth Form, otherwise the offer of a place is withdrawn. You also need to attend the registration day at the beginning of term to register and confirm your course. If you don’t do this the offer of a place may be withdrawn, or you may not get your subject choice if a subject is oversubscribed.
If you will be away and unable to get in touch on either of these dates please contact us before the end of the summer term.